As decided in Tokyo, we want to discuss the idea of a UN Sustainability Atlas, and some other relevant issues of our Commission on Atlases.
When: 12–13th December 2019
Where: TUM Technical University of Munich
We would like to organize the workshop as follows:
1st day (2–5 pm):
UN Sustainability Atlas – Kickoff Workshop
- 17 Sustainability Goals
- Previous work (poster, book; World Bank Atlas 2018)
- Data (World Bank)
- Publication form (digital, print)
2nd day (9–12 am):
Atlas Definition / Atlas Cookbook / Varia
- Atlas Definition: Criteria
- Atlas Cookbook: Cover, layout, text, figures, references; doi/ISBN; schedule
- Varia: Commission of Atlases Meeting 2020 in Madrid
As you can see, it should be possible to arrive in the morning of the first day, join the meeting, have a beer or two in the evening, and leave Munich in the early afternoon of the following day.
If you are interested to join the workshop, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org until: 10th November 2019
Update: Abstracts and presentations as PDF’s. (3 September 2019)
- Time: Sunday, 14 July 2019, 2-5pm,Tokyo
- Venue: ZENRIN comp., WATERRAS Tower, 2-101 Awaji-cho, Kanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo. Note: ZENRIN is a mapping company, where we will have a conference room.
This place is in the center of Tokyo, NOT at the ICC venue!
Please check the location and the travel route/time in advance.
- Infographics in Atlases: Concept of definition and classification
Vít Voženílek, Palacký University Olomouc, CZE
- Erwin Raisz Atlases – an early multi-method approach to cartographic communication
Eric Losang, Leibniz Institute for Regional Geography (IfL), Leipzig, GER
- Exploring Personalization of Infographics and Stories in the Atlas of the Ageing Society
Susanne Bleisch, FHNW University of Applied Sciences and Art Northwestern Switzerland, Muttenz, SUI
- Juxtaposing Government and Social Media Data in Delivering Responsive Geospatial Information via an Online Atlas Services: A Case of Criminal Graphics in Jakarta City
Trias Aditya, Universitas Gadjah Mada, Yogyakarta, IND
- GeoInfographics: an Integrative Information Design Model to Promote Thematic Atlas Innovation
Tang Xi, East China Normal University, Shanghai, CHN
- Infographics in Digital Thematic Atlases – Possible Applications
René Sieber, Institute of Cartography and Geoinformation, ETH Zurich, SUI
- Modern storytelling through infographics in early statistical atlases
Thomas Schulz, Swiss Federal Statistical Office FSO, Neuchâtel, SUI
After the workshop, PDFs of abstracts and presentations will be published on the Commission website.
A paper publication of selected contributions will be envisaged.
If you wish to attend without presenting or want to be updated personally, please register your interest by informing the organizers.
Atlases, Cognition, Usability: ICA Commissions Joint Workshop
Date: April 27-30, 2018.
The ICA Commission on Atlases in cooperation with the ICA Commission on Cognitive Issues in Geographic Information Visualization and the ICA Commission on Use, User and Usability Issues invite to a Joint Workshop in Olomouc, Czech Republic on April 27-30, 2018.
Workshop Website http://spring2018.upol.cz
CoA Business Meeting in Washington D.C., U.S.A.
04. July 2017 [11:40 – 12:30]
Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel
Room: Maryland B
Organization: René Sieber
We will present and discuss the achievements of the atlas commission during the last two years.
A special focus will be on current CoA publications and on future activities.
Save the date!
Everyone with interest in atlases is welcome!
Image: Joint Commission Workshop on “Atlases and Education” 2016
Pre-Conference Joint Meeting in Washington DC: Atlases, History and Toponymy
28-30 June 2017
The focus of the meeting will be on historical maps in all kind of digital and printed atlases. The meeting will be held in cooperation with the ICA Commissions on History and Toponymy.
Organization: Imre Demhardt.
⇒ More information.
Mapping Asia: Cartographic Encounters between East and West
15-16 September 2017
More information about this International Symposium on the History of Cartography which is jointly organized by the Leiden University Libraries and the ICA Commission on the History of Cartography can be found on the conference website (http://blogs.library.leiden.edu/mappingasia/) or on this website under Leiden 2017.